Being a FEMA-certified flood insurance agent, I have firsthand knowledge of recurrent flooding. I am committed to accelerating funding for long-term flooding mitigation projects and drainage maintenance. I am dedicated to preserving open space and natural areas, and have sponsored ordinances and secured funding that limits pollution and protects wetlands.
- Co-sponsored alternate city budgets that accelerate funding for stormwater projects without unnecessary tax or fee increases – funding the nearly half a billion dollars in flood projects in only six years instead of fifteen
- Sponsored an ordinance that dedicates 25% of revenue from the Dome Site Project directly to funding stormwater mitigation projects
- Sponsored an ordinance that created the Adopt-a-Drain Program, which teams up with volunteers to help prevent pollution from clogging up our drainage system, lakes, and streams
- Co-sponsored an ordinance for the City of Virginia Beach to join the American Flood Coalition, a forum that enhances flood resilience efforts
- Secured funding for two new City parks – one being Ferry Point Park, 9 acres of permanently conserved wetlands and forests on the Elizabeth River
I have prioritized modernizing stormwater infrastructure for our vulnerable coastal city since Day One as your representative. During each budget cycle, I have co-sponsored alternative budgets (2017, 2018 and 2019) that prioritize better stormwater mitigation and drainage maintenance without unnecessary tax or fee increases. I sponsored an ordinance that dedicates 25% of revenue from the Dome Site Project directly to stormwater mitigation projects, which was unanimously approved by City Council.
I sponsored an ordinance in support of the Hurricane and Flooding Risk Reduction and Bond Rating Protection Act for the State’s Legislative Agenda, which would establish a better-coordinated statewide flooding mitigation effort. I also co-sponsored an ordinance for the City of Virginia Beach to join the American Flood Coalition, with no cost to taxpayers, a forum to enhance flood resilience efforts. Recurrent flooding and sea-level rise pose the greatest risk to the longevity of our region. We must be proactive in funding citywide infrastructure improvements.
Our environment, including wetlands, open space, and waterways, is one of the best qualities of Virginia Beach. I support more sustainable practices in preserving our natural areas and water quality. I sponsored an ordinance to establish the Adopt-a-Drain Program, which teams up with volunteers to help prevent pollution from clogging up our drainage system, lakes, and streams.
Connecting our residents with community parks exemplifies the natural beauty of our city. Parks allow us to be happy and healthy. Improving the connectivity of neighborhoods, trails, and parks while conserving our natural open spaces will enhance our community’s environmental stewardship. I secured funding for two new City parks – one being Ferry Point Park, 9 acres of permanently conserved wetlands and forests on the Elizabeth River. I am also pushing to utilize Green Infrastructure, such as wetlands, rain barrels, and planting trees, to complement flooding and stormwater mitigation projects.
Our City’s future depends on long-term stormwater infrastructure projects and taking responsibility for our environment – and I will continue to make these issues a priority. Please consider donating or volunteering to show your support.