Recently City Council received a briefing from the voter registrar’s office about the upcoming election and the plans to accommodate the new mail-in voting. For the first time ever in Virginia we will have no excuse absentee voting. Virginia’s General Assembly has also recently passed measures that will create ballot drop boxes and set aside $2 million for prepaid postage on mail-in ballots. As of 08/18/20 there are 312,170 registered voters, of which approximately 40,000 have already requested an absentee ballot.
So what do you need to know?
• There are two Absentee Options: by mail or in person
• No excuse required on vote by mail form
• Ballots will be mailed to voters who have returned completed applications
• There will be enhanced ID rules for in-person voting
You can register for Absentee/ Early Voting here.
Starting 45 days before Election Day, visit your local registrar’s office or a satellite voting location in your county or city to vote early. In addition to Voter Registration & Elections Municipal Center, Building 14, Virginia Beach will be opening four satellite locations for early voting:
- Voter Registration & Elections Municipal Center, Building 14
2449 Princess Anne Road
- Bayside Recreation Center
4500 First Court Road
- Great Neck Recreation Center
2521 Shorehaven Drive
- Seatack Recreation Center
141 S. Birdneck Road
- Kempsville Treasurer’s Office
5340 Fairfield Shopping Center
You do not have to have a reason or fill out an application to vote early.
Additionally if you have registered for absentee voting and would like to hand deliver your ballot you may do so to any of the satellite locations. If you plan on voting in person you can find your polling location here.
Some final dates to note:
- Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration, is Tuesday, October 13, 2020 by close of business
- Deadline to request an absentee ballot to be mailed to you is Friday, October 23, 2020. Your request must be received by 5:00 p.m.
- Citizens can apply to serve as election officials with September 25 deadline
- Absentee ballot must be mailed by Election Day, November 3.
- Ballot will be counted if received by the General Registrar by noon the third day after the election, November 6